An ‘Oscar to Me’ Acceptance Speech
by Tempie Williams
Copyright (C) 2011
I am humbled and honoured to first of all have been nominated by maturestudenthanginginthere for the Versatile Blogger Award. I Congratulate her on having received it prior because to me she truly deserves it. In fact, I think in my heart I felt it the moment she responded to my first Open University blog posting explaining my thoughts about being back in a University studying and taking courses after being out for over 20 years.
I then visited her blog and was further motivated by her writing style and consistency. Her compassion and caring for her family and others became contagious at that very instant. Further, I could hardly contain myself as I kept reading and when she said, “ My name is Jacqueline and have recently returned to study after far too many years. I’ve promised myself my degree through the Open University before I’m 50 (originally my deadline was 40, but hey ho). My blog is just stuff that I’m happy to share about my experiences of trying to hold down a full time job, family stuff, being a carer, study – and sometimes all the bits in between…” I knew it was no coincidence. Further, on September 19th, she posted she had reached a centenarian milestone, her 100th blog posting!
There was a sincere connection because I could relate to so very much of all she had said having just turned 50 as I am about to turn 57 in a month and knowing my life is just beginning and thinking to myself,
“ mature student hanging in there, YOU GO GIRL! ”
So, I hope you understand me at this very moment and I wish you could see me smiling because, to some this award may not have a special meaning, but to me, it is like I have been awarded ‘An Oscar!‘
The nomination/award comes with a few rules and for me they are doing the things I enjoy doing so here they are:
1. Thank the person who shared the award with you by linking back to
them in your post.
2. Pass this award to 15 recently discovered blogs and let them know
that you included them in your blog post.
3. List 7 things about yourself….so here they are:
The Seven Things About Me:
1. At 50 years old, I found my ‘soul mate’ a wonderful British-born, Dominican reared, fellow author/ poet and married for the first time; and he too had never married before. We both share so much including attending Open University together.
2. I was born in Memphis, TN, USA and am a Elvis fan! Received $200 from him for the 1969 ‘Miss Social Belle Pageant. Also assisted in drawing blood from him at Baptist Memorial Hospital.
3. Proud I started growing dreadlocks for the first time now being a Rastafarian and growing my own vegetables.
4. I wrote my debut fiction novel, Feelings in 2005 and had over 20+ successful Booksignings.
5. Never met them but belonged to the same church as President Barack and First Lady Michelle Obama, plus I modeled clothes from the same designer shop Oprah shopped at in Chicago, IL.
6. Proud to have been taken to the Mason Temple by my parents to hear Dr. Martin Luther King recite his famous and last speech , ‘I’ve Been to the Mountaintop’ on April 3, 1968 the day before his assassination in Memphis, TN, USA.
7.Enjoy watching Doctors, Spooks, Numbers, The Unit, X Factor, American Idol and Britian Got Talent with my husband.
My 15 new nominees are in no particular order:
1. Cindy Newsome ( http://www.cindywilliamsnewsome.com/blog/3 )
4. Patricia at Spiritual Journey of a Lightworker, ( http://patriciasingleton.blogspot.com/ )
6. Jonathan Vernon ( http://mymindbursts.com/ )
7. Adebanji Alade ( http://www.adebanjialade.blogspot.com/ )
8. Mirth and Motivation- ( http://eof737.wordpress.com/2011/09/20/reflections-an-anonymous-gift/ )
9. Miranda Prather – (http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/5674280/life_with_a_chronically_ill_horse.html?cat=53 )
10. Shelia Lipsey ( http://shelialipsey.com/blog/ )
11. LaShaunda Hoffman ( http://lashaunda.blogspot.com/)
12. Shelley Fagence-Traynor ( http://shelleyftr.blogspot.com/ )
13. Shelagh Watkins ( http://shelaghwatkins.wordpress.com/ )
14. Tee C. Royal ( http://www.rawsistaz.com/ )
15. EVALENA JÖNSSON LUNDE’s Blog ( http://www.myspace.com/evalenajlunde/blog )